Girl doesn’t change her contact lenses for six monthsadmin
Taiwanese undergraduate, Lian Kao has gone blind due to the result of not changing her contact lenses. In the space between the contact lenses and the eye is where microorganisms reside, not allowing oxygen to breed as they feed on the cornea. Kao left her contact lenses in for six months and gave time for Acanthamoeba, the main threat, to settle. Rather than feed on human tissue directly, Acanthamoeba eats bacteria. The amoeba had a lot to eat to start a colony as bacteria were settling on Kao’s cornea. Then it delved further into her eyes to eat at the bacteria living there.
The condition called, Acanthamoebic Keratitis, can arise by not cleaning contact lenses. Wearers have been exposed to Acanthamoeba infections after their lens cleaners didn’t clean them properly. They now have been recalled. Although not cleaning your lenses puts you at risk for this condition, not taking your lenses out at all is a much more dangerous risk. Kao left her contact lenses in for six months as she slept in them, and swam in them as well. This made her risk even higher because swimming pools often contain Acanthamoeba.
Dr. Wu Jian-Liang, director of ophthalmology at Wan Fang Hospital said, “A shortage of oxygen can destroy the surface of the epithelial tissue, creating tiny wounds into which the bacteria can easily infect, spreading to the rest of the eye and providing a perfect breeding ground.” The infection can be difficult to get rid of once it has already appeared. Corneal transplants can correct the problem, but sometimes it falls depending on the situation. Pain, eye redness, and blurred vision are caused by Acanthamoebic Keratitis, but people don’t seek help until after the damage has already occurred because the pain wasn’t intense enough. To avoid the risk, wash hands before cleaning your lenses.