How to Start a Drug Testing Serviceadmin
Due to growing initiatives for drug screenings, increases in government funding, and rises in alcohol and drug consumption, Market Watch reports that the Global Drug Screening Market is expected to exceed more than $8.27 billion by 2022. Offering drug testing services is becoming an increasingly viable way to become part of an industry that is only projected to grow moving forward.
As with offering any new service, there are a number of variables that are dependent upon the rules and regulations that are in place where your organization is located, however, there are still a few basic steps you should follow in order to get a service like this off of the ground.
1.. Contact your local health authority and inquire about the licenses and other requirements necessary to start a drug testing facility. The National Association of County & City Health Officials has a full directory that can be filtered by both state and zip code.
2. Complete any necessary accredited courses and state examinations. Depending on the range of services you decide to offer, additional laboratory training or the hiring of licensed/certified employees may be required.
3. Develop a business plan. This plan should include your start-up costs, operation strategy, projected or anticipated cost of staff, and an outline of the required materials. You should also take into consideration and outline your target market—will you focus on companies interested in drug testing their employees? Schools or athletic organizations interested in detecting performance-enhancing drugs?
4. Obtain capital and a business license. Start-up capital is typically obtained through a small business loan or funding from private investors. Once you have enough capital to launch your business, it’s important to register your company and obtain a business license.
5. Choose an appropriate location and purchase the appropriate equipment. The size of the space and equipment you will need are both dependent on the breadth and depth of tests you plan to offer. While basic equipment can be as simple as a specimen drug test kit, more elaborate services require specialized equipment, such as mass spectrometers. In order to stretch your budget further, consider purchasing used laboratory equipment from a trusted vendor, such as The Lab World Group. In addition to the equipment necessary to perform the actual testing, be sure to invest in a reliable client management computer system to keep all of your records in order.
6. Final steps should include investing in liability insurance, hiring experienced and reliable staff, and advertising your drug testing services to potential clients, based on your target market.